If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (562) 420-0030

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Water Damage | What is Covered Under Rental Insurance?

8/20/2021 (Permalink)

Depending on the type of policy, Renters insurance protects you against water damage caused by a number of situations that you may experience as a tenant in Montgomery County, such as accidental overflows or water discharge. 

Accidental water damage incidents include:

  • Pipe burst
  • Machine malfunction (dishwasher, washing machine, etc) 
  • Plumbing. 
  • Damage to neighboring units

What Is My Landlord Responsible For?

Your landlord is responsible for the maintenance of your rental home, which includes preventing and fixing leaks. Any flaw in the building that could be linked to a possible future cause of property damage and water damage repairs must be reported.

Almost all rental agreements claim that you are not responsible for water damage repairs that are caused by structural issues if you inform your landlord in writing as soon as you find them. This involves leaks in the ceiling, assuming you aren't the one who caused them.

Double-Check Your Lease And Your Renter Policy 

Although most policies cover losses caused by accidental water damage, call your insurance company and discuss what your rental insurance covers.  Also, read your lease carefully. Make sure you understand your and those of your landlord's responsibilities in the event of a crisis. And in times of emergency, make sure your landlord knows to call SERVPRO when water damage restoration services are needed.

Other News

View Recent Posts